jeudi 27 mars 2008

BEHIND THE TIMES, LOOKING FOR WORK

Did anyone else see the Darjeeling Ltd? I knew I was a little disappointed after Anderson's last foray into what the fuck characters, but I had some hope for this one. I was wrong. Sure it was pretty, but when you hear Owen Wilson say lines like "These people are beautiful" as he stares at some anonymous Indians, it ain't right. .Kind of like this article in the Times: How to survive in New York on 99 Cents. Yes it's true, poor people are poor,depressing, and they eat like shit. Gross.
"Another night, after amassing some brown rice and cans of bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and baby corn at Jack’s, I bought some Chinese broccoli off-site for a big stir-fry. For dessert each night we turned to the slightly wanton charms of the Little Debbie product line, particularly young Debbie’s Oatmeal Creme Pies, whose velvety filling so perfectly captures an imagined marriage between buttercream frosting and Noxzema."
It reads like one of those Progressive era pamphlets on Tenement living. Anyone? Eugenics? Anyone? Look into it. And maybe (if you're lucky) Theodore "Trust Buster" Roosevelt will become your favourite American president too!
In other news, that guy Christian Lander, the man behind "Stuff White People Like" is getting mentioned everywhere. Shit I read about him as I ate my weetabix this morning.

I interviewed him a while back for viceland. Check it here Somehow the skinhead weetabix ad seemed fitting.

Aucun commentaire: